Saturday, January 5, 2008
My First New Year's Resolution...
A few weeks ago, I was "blog surfing" like I often do. I love photojournalistic photography- I love the little imperfections of real moments that are so enduring in a photograph. Anyways, I have a long list of my favorites photog sites, and often go from one blog to another to see what's new. For some reason this night, I started to get very frustrated. The more I looked at them, the more I kept asking myself, "Why aren't I doing this?". I have always wanted to be a photographer. Through high school and college, all my electives were photography- I even have enough credits to apply for a minor. I think this is why I like scrap booking so much too. In my high school diary I wrote that I am going to be a Spanish-speaking Nurse, Photographer, and Dancer. Well I minored in Spanish, I have a bachelor of science in Nursing, and I dance around our house a lot. :) Photographer is all that's left. Something just came over me while I was staring at those pictures and I said to myself, "I have to try". I have my education- I have a great job that pays by bills and that I truly love... but I don't have just one dream. Why can't I do it all? I yelled for Nick and started talking to him about it. I was actually a little nervous about doing this... I'm not sure why. But one of the things I love about Nick is that he always believes in me. He didn't even bat an eye when I blurted out all I wanted to do. He said, "Great... and you should start a photo blog, and you should talk to this person, and then you should....etc". He never fails to have faith in me when I don't always have it in myself. You have to understand, this is very hard to put myself out there like this- open to criticism and wide open to failure. If you know me at all you know that I'm a perfectionist. Always have been. I think Myca wrote, "If I can't do something well, I probably won't even try". Bingo. (One more reason why we're such good friends. haha) This is totally me, so one of my New Year's Resolutions is to put myself out there and try what I love. I realize that one more photographer is probably one of the last things the world need- it seems like everyone and their dog is one these days :) but I also think I owe it to myself to take a shot at something I love. I don't want to look back and say, "Why didn't I just go for it?" So here it is. I am very aware I still have a lot to learn and a ways to go... but I am loving the feel of being behind the camera again. Alright world, take your best shot- my photoblog is posted in the column to the left, or you can go directly to khoneycuttgallery.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You're way too hard on yourself Kristin! Your photos are lovely and you should just GO FOR IT! I wish we didn't live on opposite ends of the sound! I wanted to have you do Christmas pictures for us but the time was crazy and the distance is always a factor. UGH. Anyway... You've had a solid year as a nurse and you're a wonderful one at that! Now that you've found a comfort zone in nursing, it's time to branch out into photography. I've heard many people say that they sometimes take hundreds of photos just to find one good one. So be prepared for that. I admire your tenacity and I know you'll do well! When the weather is nicer this spring or summer, I'll have to have you do our family pictures. Your pictures are amazing and I'd be honored to have you capture my family's memories!
I think you should do it! I know you would be awesome at it....I don't think you can ever be bad at anything you do! I am so excited to see you guys. We have to plan some fun things to do. OH and you will have to help me plan a surprise trip for Jared to come see you guys in Seattle. Anyway I love you tons. Can't wait to see you.
you Go Girl! Get a great camera and start shooting!-n
Post a Comment